Here is a list of plant facts you probably didn’t know:
- Millions of trees are planted by squirrels that bury nuts and then forget where they left them.
- The smallest tree in the world are the Greenland dwarf willows.
- The world’s largest flowering plant is 70 million times bigger than the smallest.
- Almonds are the most widely grown and used nut in the world.
- Cucumber, pumpkin and tomatoes are all fruit.
- The canopy of a rainforest is so thick that only one per cent of sunlight reaches the ground.
- The giant water lily grows almost 12 centimetres a day.
- Some bamboo plants grow a metre a day.
- Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are at least 50 years old.
- Plants grow more quickly if given warm water than cold water.
- The cashew is a member of the poison ivy family.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- Wheat is the world’s most widely cultivated plant. It is grown on every continent except Antarctica.
- Bananas contain about 75 per cent water.
- A cucumber is 96 per cent water.
- Almonds are part of the peach family.
- 1.25 million Orchids seeds weigh one gram.
- The banana and the bird-of-paradise flower are from the same family.
Fact of the day: A donkey will sink in quick sand but a mule won’t.
Joke of the day: My favourite exercise is a cross between a lunge and a crunch. It’s called lunch
Riddle of the day: What can travel round but stay in one corner.
If you know the answer to the riddle leave it in the comments. Drop a like if you enjoyed reading this post and want me to rite more like this one. Also tell me in the comments if you liked the joke I put today.