My birthday is on the 17th July which is only a few days from now so I thought that this close to my birthday I should write down a recipe for the ideal chocolate birthday cake:
- 175g (6oz) plain chocolate.
- 6 tbsp water
- 175g (6oz) butter or margarine
- 175g (6oz) soft dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 90g (3oz) ground almonds (optional)
- 90g (3oz) white breadcrumbs
- Apricot jam
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Grease identical cake tins. Set the oven to 375*F/190*C. Gas mark 5.
- Melt the chocolate with the water in a ball over a pan of hot water until it melts. Stir well.
- Beat the butter in a bowl u until its soft, then beat in the sugar until it is fluffy.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks putting them in separate bowls.
- Beat the egg yolks, ground almonds, melted chocolate and grated breadcrumbs into the butter mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, use the put-it-above-your-head method. Fold them into the chocolate mixture with a metal spoon
- Spread half the mixture into each cake tin. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the centre feels springy.
- When the cakes are cool, slip a knife round the sides of the tins and turn them out. Stick the two cakes together with apricot jam.
- To make the icing melt the syrup with the butter over a low heat, then beat in the cocoa powder with a fork.
- Beat the icing until thick, then pour it over the cake. Smooth it all round the cake with a knife.
- Decorate the cake before the icing sets.
Fact of the day: The average person will spend 6 months of their lives waiting for red lights to turn green.
Joke of the day: A police officer jumps into his squad car and calls the station.
“I have an interesting case here,” he says. “A woman shot her husband for stepping on the floor she just mopped.”
“Have you arrested her?” asks the sergeant.
“No, not yet. The floor’s still wet.”
Riddle of the day: You can see me in water but I never get wet. What am I?
I you know the answer to the riddle leave it in the comments below. Drop a like if you enjoyed reading this post and want me to write more like this one. Remember to tell me in the comments if you like the joke I put up there today.