Horses in WW1

Here are some facts about the use of horses in World War 1:

  • When the British were after horses for the WW1 cavalry they got 140,000 in only a few weeks.
  • The British sent 1 million horses to France and only 62,000 returned.
  • 256,000 horses died on the Western front alone. 58,000 by enemy fire and the rest by illness and battle conditions.
  • The RBAVC treated 725,000 horses and they saved 529,000 of them.
  • One of the reasons the Germans lost the war was because their vet service was less effective.
  • 136,000 Australian horses shipped off to war and only one returned home.
  • 2% of all the horses used in the war were in the cavalry. The other 98% were used for transport.
  • Most horses that died during WW1 died from exhaustion, disease and extreme weather conditions.

Fact of the day: Whether or not you dream in black and white depends on whether you watched black-and-white television.

Joke of the day: Which spice girl can carry the most petrol? Geri can. Joke of the day:

Riddle of the day: Mr Brown was killed on Sunday afternoon. The wife said she was reading a book. The butler said He was taking a shower. The chef said he was making breakfast. The maid said she was folding clothes, and the gardener said he was planting tomatoes. Who did it?

If you know the answer to the riddle leave it in the comments below. Drop a like if you enjoyed reading this post and want me to write more like this. Remember to tell me in the comments if you liked the joke I put up there today.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s